First Region of Sweden
Dalarna is one of the Swedish counties exhibiting the widest range of physical geography: deciduous and coniferous forests, plains, foothills and alpine regions. Lakes and rivers occupy approximately 8 % of the surface area of Dalarna, with around 6,300 lakes larger than one hectare. The Dalälven river basin accounts for around 80% of the area of the county.
Good to know about Dalarna:
- Dalarna is roughly the same area as Belgium, but far more sparsely populated. Less than 300,000 inhabitants in Dalarna compare to more than 10 million living in Belgium.
- Lake Siljan, the largest lake in Dalarna, is the site of a crater made by a meteor impact 360 million years ago. The Siljan area is one of our most popular tourist destinations.
- The old copper mine and its surroundings in Falun were included in UNESCO’s world heritage list in 2001.
- Njupeskär Falls in Mt. Fulufjället National Park is Sweden’s highest waterfall with a vertical fall of 97 metres.
- The famous red paint of Sweden, Falu Rödfärg, is low-maintenance and eco-friendly, produced by mixing ochre pigment from the old copper mine in Falun with linseed oil.
- Some of the world’s oldest living trees have been discovered on Mt. Fulufjället in northern Dalarna. The oldest of these Norway spruces dates back around 9,550 years.
- Sälen is Sweden’s largest ski area and the fourth biggest tourist destination in the country.
- Dalarna as a whole is a very attractive destination and the third most important region in Sweden for tourism.
- The Coat-of-Arms of the county and the province is one of the oldest in Sweden, dating back to the 1520s, the first decade of the reign of King Gustav Vasa.
- ”Allemansrätt” in Sweden gives everyone the constitutional right of access to the countryside, including land which is private property. At the same time it means that we need to take good care of nature, showing respect and restraint.
Coat of arms:
The 2015 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships
The 2015 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships in Falun will be a World Championships with totally new dimensions – that goes beyond all expectations and brings the world closer to the joy of skiing. The 2015 Falun Championships will involve children and young people, the arts, business and trade, the environment and of course all fans of skiing.
The 2015 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships homepage
Visit Dalarna? Plan your trip here…
Visit Dalarna homepage
County Administrative Board of Dalarna
The County Administrative Board is the authority representing national government in close proximity to people in each county, as such holding a unique position in the Swedish democratic system. Sweden comprises 21 counties, which are in turn divided into 290 municipalities, 15 of them in Dalarna.
County Administrative Board of Dalarna homepage
Dalarna County Council
The County Council is responsible for publicly financed health, medical and dental care and some other regional activities in culture and education.
Dalarna County Council homepage
Region Dalarna – The Regional Development Council of Dalarna County
Region Dalarna is a co-operative body responsible for promoting and coordinating regional development in the county of Dalarna. Our goal is to take advantage of all available opportunities to further regional development in sectors of importance to sustainable growth and employment.
Region Dalarna – The Regional Development Council of Dalarna County homepage